Friday, December 18, 2009

On Christmas eating!

Caloric Conundrums
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we diet!
Peter Paul Rubens loved fat!
He knew just where it was at;
In fact, I'm sure I could have had a ball
With Peter Paul.
His nudes are a treat to the eye,
Well-endowed at the hip and the thigh;
No bony construction for him.
The word he liked least was 'thin'.
An artist of his reputation
Should experience regeneration.
This craze for the skinny and lean
Makes me think of Butterfly McQueen.
These bones that set people ravin'
Make me think of the Bard of Avon!
Now I'm all for equality,
If you're thin, that's just fine, but for me
It's the plump ones who know
The right use of their dough;
It's the fat ones who smile
On their last giddy mile;
It's the corpulent fellow
Who shaketh like Jello
In that Christmas rhyme
That you hear all the time.
So, here's to the well-endowed set
Who eat all the food they can get.
They may shimmy and ripple
And nibble and tipple,
But they look pretty good soaking wet!
(From Save the Wine for Me Another Day, by Herbert Burtis)