Thursday, January 27, 2011

Morning sounds

It's delightful to waken here in Isla Verde to the sounds of a Puertorican morning. My windows, I have eight facing the sea, are always open and in the otherwise silent morning hours, the sounds of the sea, rolling up against the white sandy beach, a distant rooster sounding the alarm, reminding me of summer in Sandisfield, and a little brown dog in the private house under my window coming out and barking to wake anyone who missed the rooster's cry, are my alarm clock.

There are three elegant private homes next to the hotel, still standing among all the glamorous high-rises that line the beach. They are immaculately maintained and I'm sure are worth a fortune. The property must be worth several million dollars. I wonder how long they will last?

My morning ritual begins with turning on WNBC from New York City to see how many feet of snow fell last night (often one or more!). Then after my shower, I go to the fitness room downstairs and spend fifteen or twenty minutes on the treadmill to get my heart started. At home, after about seven minutes on the treadmill, I begin to wheeze. 

Then, today at least, come to the Business Room to check my email and write today's blog.

The amazing thing about this salubrious climate is that all my winter respiratory symptoms, runny eyes, runny nose, wheezy lungs, have disappeared! I wonder if I can take the trip off my income tax as a medical benefit?

Fat chance!!