Sunday, April 24, 2011

Peter Lieberson

This morning I learned of the death of my friend Peter Lieberson. He was a gifted composer and the husband of my dear Lorraine Hunt. His most beautiful writing, as far as I am concerned, came after their marriage. He once told me, when I was visiting them in Santa Fe, that he never really knew how to write for the voice until he met Lorraine. She was certainly his inspiration for his later outpouring of vocal music.

John and I met Peter when we were in Santa Fe for the premiere of Ashoka's Dream in which Lorraine was singing the part of the second wife. This was prophetic, since she soon became Peter's second wife. I have never known two people who were more in love. They made a pact that they would never be apart more than ten days. As a composer, he could go wherever in the world Lorraine went to sing.

They visited us at Rood Hill Farm a number of times when Lorraine and I were working on a role she was preparing. He was a lovely man and I shall miss him very much.

In March of 2006 I heard Lorraine sing for the last time. It was at the Performing Arts Center in Newark with the BSO. She sang a heart-breaking performance of Peter's Neruda Songs. I told him backstage afterwards that I thought these were the most wonderful songs I have ever heard. I still weep when I hear Lorraine sing the final 'amor' at the end of the last song.

Their love will continue in his music and her recordings. Two great souls who should still be with us. I loved them both very dearly.