Friday, April 29, 2011

Here comes the bride

Let's face it. The Brits know how to do a spectacle. I woke up at 6:00 a.m. and saw the whole wedding. I don't know what the networks were doing from 3:00 or 4:00 a.m. as advertized.


I was delighted that the choir sang Hubert Parry's 'I was Glad' for the procession. We used to sing that anthem at the Methodist church years ago when I was the Director of Music in Red Bank.

The recession was Walton's 'Crown Imperial' which I had the honor of playing on the organ, assisted by brass from the New York Philharmonic, for the Queen Mum in 1954 at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine on Amsterdam Avenue. It was the 200th anniversary of my alma mater, Columbia University. Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother was the honored guest and speaker.

I was the Associate University Organist and Choirmaster at St. Paul's Chapel, Columbia, at the time under Searle Wright. That day's processional was Searle's 'Fantasy on Wareham', with the St. Paul's chapel choir, organ and brass. It was a day I shall always remember.

Good show, folks!