Friday, April 22, 2011

Dear Doris

For lack of something better to do this afternoon, I tuned in to Turner Classic movies and found myself in the midst of a Doris Day and Jack Carson movie. This must have been early in her career because she got fourth billing and he got first. Janis Paige was listed above her.

The thing that impressed and amazed me was in the final scene of this predictable romance, when she sang 'It's magic', every time she took a breath in her skin tight gown, her belly button moved forward. Imagine that! She was taking a low breath. I have never thought of her as a prime example of vocal technique, but I also realised that she always sang through complete phrases without running out of air. Earlier in the movie (the title of which I never saw) she was seated or moving around so I did not get a good look at her mid section. I don't know why, but this just tickled me. Imagine, Doris Day knew how to take a singing breath. I can think of some opera singers who could learn something from her.



Singers like Kate Smith always took a deep breath. But Kate was a sizeable woman and didn't worry about trying to look thin. And could she ever sing! Stephanie Blythe from the Met, is doing a tribute to her as I write.


I was recently talking with a friend about the days on Broadway when musicals were not amplified. Long, long ago! That was when Ethel Merman and Mary Martin were in their prime and could sing, un-amplified, and reach the last row of the balcony without belting.

These days everyone is wired for sound. It's often difficult on a crowded stage to figure out who is singing, since all the sound comes from the same speakers. I simply look to see whose lips are moving.

I have been trying to remember when things changed. Possibly in the 60's, when suddenly, no one walked on stage without a microphone in her bosom or stuck in her hair. Nowadays, men and women all wear what I call telephone operator headsets. I often wonder when two people who are fitted out like this kiss on stage, how they avoid becoming permanently connected electronically, head set to head set. Some new kind of S and M.

When I think of some of the men I heard on Broadway 'back in the day', the likes of John Raitt and Ezio Pinza never needed amplification either. Or Danny Kaye.

Apparently today absolutely everything that has to do with sound must be amplified to the level of physical pain. I remember walking out of a production of Les Miz in Boston some years ago with a splitting headache from the intolerable din. Of course, the music might have had something to do with that as well! I felt that the show was well named.

There is a local movie house near here that in the past I have enjoyed attending, where you can order a drink, have a light supper, and enjoy the movie. These days the sound system is tuned so loud I have had to plug my ears to save my hearing. I even asked at one point if the sound could be turned down. It was lowered for about two minutes, and then went right back up to terrifying levels! I just don't go there any more.

I always thought as I aged, that my hearing would be apt to get worse. But looking around the theatre, everyone else seemed unaware of the painful volume. Either they have all lost their hearing or mine has improved with age. Some weird sort of miracle.

I never was close enough to Ethel or Mary to check out their belly buttons while they sang, but I'll bet a nickel they moved out when they inhaled. I'm sure that Kate's did!!

PS A friend who read this just emailed me the name for a navel watcher: omphaloskesis. I guess that makes me an omphaloskesist. I love it!! All voice teachers need to be one of these to make sure their students are taking a low breath.

PPS Another friend just emailed me that Doris graduated from the Cincinatti Conservatory of Music,my friend's alma mater . Go Doris!