Saturday, February 13, 2010

Oy, Canada!

I realise that I am totally out of touch with what passes for singing in the pop world these days, but last night's otherwise spectacular opening of the Olympics has to have been a new low for the human voice.

The pop singers, only one of whom I had even heard of before, moaned and screamed their way through various songs. The rendition of Oh, Canada was a close second to Roseanne Barr singing the US national anthem which scratching her unmentionables at some sports event some years ago.

Then came the opera singer. Please tell me that this wobbly singer is not in a major career. And would someone please write an abridged version of the Olympic Hymn? It makes Götterdämmerung seem like the minute waltz! I practically wore out the 'mute' button on my TV remote.

The native tribes were the best thing musically that happened.

I keep remembering the incredible opening of the Barcelona summer games some years ago with a line-up that included Montserrat Caballe, Teresa Berganza, Alfredo Kraus, Juan Pons, and Victoria de los Angeles. Vive la différence!

Sorry, but I just had to vent!