Saturday, February 27, 2010

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! Grrrr.

A BLOG a day keeps the doctor away... or something. Here I am awake at 4:15 a.m. again thanks to the Prednisone I have been taking. So I might as well write a brief note on the weather. A friend of mine, who was a composer, used to say he composed something every day, even if he didn't have much to say, just to keep in practice. I guess this is better than phoning my friends to chat at this hour!

It has been like living in Greenland here in Sandisfield these past few days. Constant snow, slush, ice, the works. I guess we call it Climate Change now instead of Global Warming, though I guess in parts of the world, large lakes are turning into deserts. Put the blame on el NiƱo, Mame.

Living on a dirt road in a very rural town in the Berkshires of Massachusetts has it's charms; but about now, I would like to see some different ones. When I came home from teaching at Smith on Wednesday at about 2:00 p.m., my driveway had already been plowed three times so I only had about six inches of snow through which to drive uphill; but I walked up my front steps in snow up to my knees! I practically had to carry Casha over the drifts; she weighs 43 pounds! My plowman will undoubtedly be retiring to Florida soon on what I'm paying him this winter.

This weather trend is supposed to calm down a bit but will continue into next week. I plan to get back to Smith for Karen Smith Emerson's Sunday concert. Wish me luck!

If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?

Apparently!