Saturday, August 16, 2014

Auld lang syne

Last night David and I attended a very fine concert by the Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra of San Francisco at the Yale Norfolk Chamber Music Festival in Norfolk, CT. It turned out to be a trip down memory lane for me.

The orchestra, conducted with great joy and enthusiasm by Sir Nicholas McGegan, presented works by Handel, Corelli, and Rameau, played with flare and a great knowledge of the Baroque style. 

Celine Ricci, soprano, and Robin Blaze, countertenor, were the singers in excerpts from Handel's Teseo. Both demonstrated great flexibility and a good sense of style.

The 'Memory Lane' part came at the beautiful post-concert party hosted at the incredible home of David Low and his wife in Norfolk. First of all, David had sung in John Ferris's Harvard Choir some years ago and kindly included us in the festivities following the concert.

Secondly I had a long talk with a woman who had been a friend of Lorraine's from the San Francisco Bay area. We recalled hearing Lorraine sing the title role in Handel's Xerxes at the Los Angeles Opera years ago and I told her that, in addition to Lorraine's marvelous singing, I was blown away by the singing of Brian Azawa, the countertenor. This was unusual for me since the first thing that comes to my mind when I hear most countertenors is 'Why are you doing that?' Brian sounded like Helen Trauble.

In my salad days in New York City, I often performed with Russell Oberlin, probably the first great American countertenor. Russell sang 98% of the time in true voice, unlike most of that ilk, who spend most of the time singing falsetto. He could sing to tenor F above high C in true voice. Leonard Bernstein often had him sing the alto solo parts in Messiah, among other works. He and I, with Frances Blaisdell, the marvelous flutist, did a number of concerts together featuring a cycle written for us by Louie White.

Later, when I was teaching at Harvard, I had a tenor-countertenor study with me who could do the same thing. Most of his very high range was sung in true voice. We also performed the alto arias from Messiah as well as the Louie White pieces. Louie was also a very dear friend of mine to compound the 'Memory' thing.

To top it all, I had a conversation with Sir Nicholas at the party and we spoke about the many times Lorraine had sung with him and of works they had recorded together.

All of this is to say I had a wonderful evening!