Friday, January 28, 2011

Sing a tropical song?

I have been scratching my head to think of opera singers who have come from Puerto Rico. I checked it out on the web and found only the name of Justino Diaz who has had a real career. A couple of the other singers listed had Italian names, which makes sense. (I am Italian, so may be biased!) But none was familiar to me.

What made me consider this is that some years ago John Ferris and I taught in the British West Indies. We worked with church organists and with church choirs in Barbados, St. Vincent, Trinidad, and Tobago. The singing was simply beautiful. These singers could stay right on pitch while singing a capella for hours on end. We attributed their lovely voices and abilities to the salubrious weather. The sound they produced was effortless and wonderful. Puerto Rico certainly has the same glorious weather so I'd like to hear some singers here to see if the same thing is true.

I'm sure that Puerto Rico has produced many singers. Certainly in the ethnic and pop fields there are several who are well-known, but where are the classical singers? It may be that there has not been a tradition of opera or classical singing in the Island.

I'll keep looking for others besides Diaz who have had major careers and let you know what I find.