Thursday, February 25, 2010

Just sing the damned song!

My students are always asking me how I prepare myself the day of the concert. I have a routine that I have tried to use consistently for years. In my salad days as a young organist in New York City, I was Searle Wright's Assistant Organist and Choirmaster at St. Paul's Chapel, Columbia University, my Alma Mater.

Shortly after I was awarded the position, Searle said to me, "Our schedule will be that during the week we will play three noon-time religious services and two half hour long recitals. You take Tuesdays; I'll take Thursdays!".

Recitals-schmitals! At that point I had played exactly one full-length organ recital in my life.

Prior to this I used to get overly nervous and excited the day of a recital, so when I decided I couldn't go through a snit once a week, I had to find a way to be excited about playing but not let my nerves get in the way. Having to get up and perform this often, I soon found that having a pre-concert technique is just as important as having a concert technique.

So here is mine. Try it on for size if you like. Part way down I have made the examples especially applicable for singers, but similar tactics are good for other performers.

1.I try to get a good night's sleep the night before.
2.I give myself a very lazy morning the day of the concert. If it's Sunday, I do the Times crossword puzzle.
3.At some point I carefully go through parts of the program I want to touch upon for a last time before the concert.
4.I do not play (or sing) through the entire program! Don't give your performance at 11:30 a.m. if the concert is at 4:00 p.m.!
5. Depending on the time of day I must perform, I often take a brief nap. This is optional, especially for singers. I'll speak of singers from here on.
6. Depending on the time of day I eat something I like. I prefer not to eat too close to the time of the performance. My dear friend and long-time student, Mary Carter, a wonderful singer, always said she had to eat sautéed liver before she sang. She said it gave her strength. I would rather die! But that's me. You do what works for you.
7. I take a hot shower or bath to relax. These days, at 80, if possible, my friend Lisa comes and gives me a massage that morning. Lorraine always like to have a massage the day she sang and I borrowed this habit from her, I guess. I feel like I could fly to the moon after a massage or even walk onto the stage, release all that stored-up energy, and do a great concert.
8. Find something relaxing to do until concert time. I do a crossword puzzle or read a murder mystery. Very relaxing and sort of mindless.
9. Get to the hall early enough to settle into Concert Mode.
10. For singers, if there is time, glance over any places in the music you want to review.
11. Do some easy humming.
12. Take deep nose breaths off stage to completely relax the body and mind.
13. Float on stage and
Just sing the damned song!