Sunday, November 3, 2013

Wonderful weekend!

'I've been to a marvelous party! I must say, the fun was intense!' - (Noel Coward.)

And I was at a marvelous weekend in Syracuse to do a judging for the Civic Morning Musicals' 37th Annual Competition for Singers.

On Friday I went first to Syracuse University to listen to my former student, Katie Weiser, sing for me. She is studying with Janet Brown, who has been a friend and student of mine for many years. She is sounding just fine!

Then I attended Janet's rehearsal with the college orchestra with whom she was singing a new work that evening. Janet's voice is as pure and beautiful as ever. Then on to the gracious home of Neva and Dick Pilgrim, who were hosting me (elegantly!) for the weekend. My fellow guest was Marni Nixon, 'The Ghost Voice of Hollywood', who was also a judge,

 
Over cocktails and a delicious dinner, we listened to Marni relate  tales of her work in Hollywood when she dubbed the voices of Deborah Kerr (The King and I), Natalie Wood (West Side Story), Audrey Hepburn (My Fair Lady), and many others. Describing the varying egos of these ladies of the Silver Screen was a hoot! Marni and I were born in the same year, a month apart! So we are both 39, right?

On Saturday Marni and I listened to  about 34 singers who were competing in the competition. We heard some lovely young voices and a couple of extraordinary ones. In the evening the Pilgrims treated us to a fine dinner at Flame, a new restaurant near the University. Then on to a concert by the Kronos Quartet. They are quite a production. Amplified, sound tracks playing along, a circus of lighting effects, very irritating music written for them. I think once is enough, as far as I'm concerned. I would have given a lot to hear a few bars of Mozart!

I send my deepest thanks to Neva and Dick as well as the other organizers of the competition. I send my best wishes for success to all of the wonderful young singers we listened to.

As my first book on singing says : Sing On! Sing On!