Thursday, August 10, 2017

Bye, bye Barbara!

A theatrical legend has left the stage. Barbara Cook died yesterday. 

She was the last of the GREAT Broadway singers from a generation when you really had to SING to be on Broadway. 

Image result for barbara cook

I saw her many times in a number of different musicals. I missed her Candide with 'Glitter and be Gay'. I was performing the complete organ works of Bach each week at Columbia University and between conducting five choirs at my church, including a St. John Passion, directing The Glass Menagerie with the theatre group and practicing my fingers off, I just couldn't make it. But I heard her sing the aria many times. 

Her Marian the Librarian in The Music Man was unforgettable. I recently heard a performance of this work and the Marian was no Barbara.

She Loves Me, with her singing 'Vanilla Ice Cream'! Several solo concerts, including one not that long ago. What a beautiful voice!

You were the best!