Friday, November 18, 2016

Hah-cha!

Tonight David and I had dinner at one of our favorite places in Hyde Park, The Lake Shore Cafe, just off Lake Shore Drive.

In addition to a great open buffet, complete with a large salad bar and lots of desserts, they offer Dixieland Jazz.

We've been there several times. The band is JJ and the Jazz Masters. JJ is 84 years old and plays the drums. It's great to watch him smiling as he drums away. There is also a Sax player, a bass, a pianist and a terrific Vibraphone player. Tonight we also had Gina Gibson, a very good jazz singer. 

Related image

My friend from years ago, Rita Avram, used to call this kind of jazz 'two-beat', which it really is. These guys know how to improvise around any tune and Gina can match them with her vocal ad libs.

 In 1950, when John and I were first in New York City, we used to go down to Nick's in Sheridan Square to hear Phil Napoleon and his band. One time, on my 21st birthday, one of our friends got them to play Happy Birthday to me in two-beat. It was a great night.

So was tonight. We'll go again, I'm sure.