Sunday, June 12, 2016

Two amazing weeks!

The past two weeks have been exciting and exhausting musically, emotionally,and physically for this old blogger!

Physically I have been battling a major sinisitis-bronchitis infection capped by a nearly lethal dose of antibiotics which, while it cured the infection, knocked my legs out from under me physically.

Emotionally I was saddened by Phyllis Curtin's death, even though it was a blessing considering her long years of pain from Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Musically, I went from high to low and back to high again.

Fortunately my partner David was willing to drive me here and there as needed as well as offer a supporting elbow when my limited energy sagged. I'm glad I robbed the cradle!

To put it all in order, it began June 3rd with the marvelous recital here at Rood Hill Farm by Julian Müller and Mayumi Tsuchida, then the audition of a young singer who was applying for a Ferris Burtis Music Foundation scholarship, then Phyllis's death, then the brilliant Presto Change-O at Barrington Stage, then the disastrous Composers you never heard of  at Barrington Stage, and finally yesterday afternoon's incredible recital by Yevgeny Kutik and Ed Barker at Mr. and Mrs. Barker's home in Wayland,MA.

Image result for edwin barker
Edwin Barker is Principle Bassist with the Boston Symphony Orchestra and in the violin-bass duo he performed yesterday with Yevgeny he showed himself to be an absolute virtuoso on the instrument. I told him afterwards that I had not heard that kind of bass playing since I heard Andy Carr years ago in Alice Tulley Hall. He matched Yevgeny note for note with speed, dexterity and musicianship.


Image result for yevgeny kutik

Yevgeny was his usual amazing self, digging into the repertioire with passion, musicality, and energy from the first note. There was no printed program; Yevgeny announced each selection as it was played and in my current state of semi-awarness (infection, drugs) I won't trust myself to say more than his works were by Stravinsky and either Shostakovich or Prokovieff. They were incredibly difficult and Yevgeny tosses off these challenges as if they were a walk in the park. It was an amazing afternoon.

Image result for eileen huang

The excellent pianist for Yevgeny's compositions was Eileen Huang.

I am proud that two of my musical highs are a part of the Burtis Ferris Music Foundation. Yevgeny has been with us for ten or more years and Julian for five. Two great young musicians! 

http://ferrisburtisfoundation.blogspot.com 

Yesterday's recital was a fund raiser for Yevgeny's new CD which should come out in the fall. The Ferris Burtis Music Foundation has helped him with his first CD, the new CD, and the commission of one of the works on the new one. 

All three musicans will be performing at the Rockport Music Festival next week.