Saturday, February 20, 2016

Othello at Chicago Shakespeare Theatre

Last night David and I saw a remarkable performance of Othello at the Chicago Shakespeare Theatre on Navy Pier. It was preceded by a marvelous dinner of Dover Sole at Riva, an excellent restaurant with incredible views right next to the theatre.

The play was directed by Jonathan Munby and was brought forward to modern times,  which at first bothered me. Hearing people speaking Shakespearean English in modern dress disturbs my senses a bit, but I soon got used to the idea.

The set was probably very much the way the play was performed originally at the Globe Theatre in 1603; a large platform which was changed with various props as the play went on. The actors used all the aisles of the theatre for entrances and exits. Since I was seated in a center aisle seat, I sometimes risked getting hit by people and/or props as they whizzed up the aisle beside me.


Image result for james vincent meredith  James Vincent Meredith

The excellent cast  featured Fred Geyer as a very handsome Roderigo, Michael Milligan as a marvelously evil Iago, David Lively as Brabantio, James Vincent Meredith as a strong Othello, Luigi Sottile as an inept Cassio, Melissa Carlson as The Duke of Venice (I never thought the Venetians had women Doges!), Bethany Jillard as Desdemona, Bret Tuomi as Montano, Jessie Fisher as Emilia, and a large cast.


Image result for michael milligan actor   Michael Milligan

I had not seen the play in many years. I think I read it in Junior High School, which was ages ago! It was very well staged and my lasting impression is that Othello was pretty dumb to accept everything Iago told him about Desdemona's treachery. Oh well!

I forgot that after Othello strangles Desdemona at the end, there is quite a bit that happens after that moment. In the Verdi opera, which we will see later this season, after she is strangled, the opera is basically over. It will be interesting to compare the two forms of theatre.

This is the Shakespeare Year. 400 years old!

That's even older than I am!