Monday, March 18, 2013

Holy Smoke!

In my continuing tour of the cultural life of Chicago, last night my friend David took me to see The Book of Mormon. It is outrageous, hysterically funny, bawdy, noisy, sexy, and absolutely captivating! I don't remember when I have seen a musical I enjoyed this much.

I doubt very much if it is being funded by the Romney family.

The insane book, which follows the trail of several young Church of Latter Day Saints elders who are sent to Uganda, is non-stop hilarity. No tern is left un-stoned. The large and very talented cast is headed by Nic Rouleau and Ben Platt. They are irresistible.

Ben Platt - Joe Iconis and Robert Emmett Maddock's The Black Suits ...There are several huge dance numbers and the closing numbers of both Act I and Act II are show-stoppers.

I took ear-plugs, just in case the audio engineers decided to crank up the sound to painful levels, but they didn't. It was loud but within sensible auditory acceptance.

We enjoyed every minute of the show. As a voice teacher, I do need to mention that the singing, while exciting, uses the kind of vocal technique that will probably limit the lifetime of these young voices.

But, by all means, go see it!