Friday, February 15, 2013

Who's afreud?

Dear Dr. Freud,

Last night I dreamed about Marian Anderson. She was dressed in a wild costume and standing on stage. As in many dreams, I couldn't see her face, but somehow I knew it was she.


I first saw Marian Anderson when she sang at the W.K. Kellogg Auditorium in Battle Creek Michigan in the 1940's. I was in the first row of the auditorium and I was ten years old. I remember that she sang with her eyes closed throughout the concert.

It was a strange and wonderful voice. I remember that she sang two spirituals. The first, 'There's no hidin' place down there', she sang in a high flutey voice; the second, 'Trampin', she sounded like a baritone. I was impressed! Two for the price of one.

She was first black singer to appear at the Met. I heard her often over the years. In later days, her voice became tremulous, but her early recordings are remarkable.

So, Dr. Freud, I have no idea where this dream came from, but you probably will tell me what my problem is. Is that why I became a voice teacher???

Sincerely, Herbert Burtis

PS I just found out that today is her birthday. Now I really need help!