Thursday, January 21, 2010

Some like it hot!

When it's a toss-up between Puerto Rico and the hills of Western Massachusetts in January, guess who wins? I have just returned from a wonderful two weeks at the Caribe Hilton Hotel in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico and my money is on Puerto Rico.
I managed to miss some of the worst winter weather we have seen in a while here in the Berkshires and, instead, was luxuriating in the warm ocean breezes of San Juan. The hotel is on 17 beautifully landscaped acres right on the ocean on the western edge of Old San Juan. I was on the eighth floor of 'The Garden Wing', which overlooks a tropical garden complete with swans (are swans tropical?) and peacocks wandering around. Lush vegetation, one of the four or five pools to be found on the hotel grounds, and a wonderful view of the ocean, all from my balcony.
The color of the sea in Puerto Rico is something from an artist's palette. A slightly deeper blue than the sky. With the white-caps rolling in to shore, it's a painter's dream. At night, when I was in bed with no other sounds going on, the roll of those waves pushing against the rocks was a lullaby.
The people of Puerto Rico are a sweet group of folks. Everyone was very friendly and kind.
I love it! I"ll probably do it again next year.